Reply to post:

IT bloke: Crooks stole my bikes after cycling app blabbed my address

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

A neighbour is a serious bike rider. Recently he discovered the side bolt locks' loops had been cut through - by a bolt cutter - on his lock-up garage's door. For some reason the thieves had failed to open the central door lock. It is possible that they thought the side locks indicated the main lock was no longer functional.

An infra-red CCTV camera showed that four people had come up the road in the middle of the night and made a bee-line for his garage amongst 16 others. They were there for no more than 2 minutes. The garage now has a ground block for the door - plus side locks with fully enclosed loops. Ground anchors have been installed in the garage itself - but his most expensive bike is no longer stored there.

Local council street lighting economics mean that the street itself is pitch black from midnight to dawn. Failed forecourt security lighting has been upgraded to LED with PIR sensors - although there are rumours this actually makes the thieves' task easier.

I will bring the El Reg article to his attention. He had assumed he had been followed home after a training run.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon