Reply to post: Re: Intelligence Overlords

Big Brother is born. And we find out 15 years too late to stop him

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Intelligence Overlords

This depends on what you hope to get out of the data set. I was talking primarily in terms of making connections and associations between pieces of information and general trends in subject matter rather than a perfect, detailed understanding of a given conversation.

You're assuming that I'm claiming that natural language processing is anywhere near perfect just now, when of course it isn't- it's the most difficult and problematic of those factors.

(FWIW, Given that you mentioned "TV channel" and "explosive" in proximity to C4, it'd be a fair bet that you were talking about both, though.)

Still, such processing doesn't have to be perfect if the resulting content is considered only a (potentially unreliable) part of the multiple forms of data available. Figuring out how *those* go together reliably with minimal human input is- to some extent- the point of data mining.

My point was that data mining technology is already available, and that you can bet that intelligence agencies *will* be using- if not themselves developing- whatever is leading edge and state of the art a given time.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon