Reply to post:

Microsoft steps up Windows 10 nagging

ShortLegs

Installed on my laptop (Thinkpad 420), five or six months ago. Pleasantly surprised, the installation took 20 minutes - much less than the two hours it thought - and all apps continued to work bar Spybot.

The system boots faster, closes down faster, and seems slightly faster in use.

And then there was an update last week... Windows 10 v15x6? For some reason, it decided "this machine cannot be updated, Windows 10 will reinstall" or something. No discernible difference in use afterwards. Until I tried Skype. Skype cannot find my webcam. Windows cannot find it. Lenovo have issued an updated driver, dated July 2015, but the files seem identical to the Win7 driver release from circa 2011. Their other solution is to "enable the webcam in the BIOS". Webcam already enabled.

Tried removing driver, disabling BIOS entry, re-enabling, re-installing. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Skype, for me, is a killer app. Its available on all devices my daughter uses, and my partner.

I'm getting the nag screen on my desktop. No way, I am not confident that my Matrox video drivers will continue to work, and I need them for work.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon