Reply to post: Re: I call Bollocks.

New gear needed to capture net connection records, say ISPs

Camilla Smythe

Re: I call Bollocks.

As I understand the system they use DPI to extract URLs from their customers Communications and perform follow up 'content' checks on those URLs. This is 'not' based on DNS lists. It is Communications/Content Data that they are working on not Traffic/Routing Data and therefore should be illegal. They have the data, they operate on the data... the possibility that they throw it away after the event is neither here or there.

The Reg article, and indeed TalkTalk themselves have stated that this process is performed on everyone's Communications. You cannot opt out of it. They mention they do not store IP/Account/Telephone information but they have it... How else do you log in via the Radius in order to get your IP address. As to 'storage'.. ignoring the fact that they already have the 'user' data required and will be storing it anyway. They just need to add a table to the data-base.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/11/broadband-bills-increase-snoopers-charter-investigatory-powers-bill-mps-warned

Hare said: “On a typical 1 gigabit connection we see over 15TB of data per year passing over that connection ... If you say that a proportion of that is going to be the communications data, it’s going to be the most massive amount of data that you’d be expected to keep in the future.

This is where we get into confusion over Traffic/Routing Data and Communications/Content Data.

Hare conflates 15TB of 'Data' with what is 'required', assuming anyone has pinned down what an ICR represents, by an ICR. If the ICR just requires 'endpoints' and an extra little bit then. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can throw in a spanner but if I download a 1.5GB movie then allowing for redundancy I'd 'wet finger' 1K for ICR requirements which makes your 15TB of yearly data about 100MB for yearly storage.

Oh, and in respect of TalkTalks competence that does not enter the picture. They have a costed system developed, in place and in operation that fulfils the requirements of ICRs. All they have to do is add the, minimal, storage and Claire Perry is Your Uncle. That is unless they sold Claire Perry a lemon.

It's already in place. This is just the ISPs attempting to line their pockets.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon