Reply to post: Re: Jailbreaking / Rooting/ Untrusted Sources

All eyes on the jailbroken as iOS, Mac OS X threat level ratchets up

Dadmin
Holmes

Re: Jailbreaking / Rooting/ Untrusted Sources

And so you should! That device belongs to you, not leashed [sic] from the manufacture with only their one OS implementation to feed you their own brand of crap and ads. Every device should have alternate OSes available for it. Why do you think the RPi is so popular? It's a general purpose kit with great specs and a tiny price and footprint and it runs dozens of useful OSes on it. End of story. There is no RaspberryPi Corporation hell-bent on driving their numbers up, UP, and UP! It's how old-timey business still work today; if we ain't growin', if we aren't boosting our numbers in a generally upwards direction and any cost, then we are dead in the water. It's a foolish way of doing things so you can equate bad customer service and high employee turnover into a "good thing" when viewed from the lemming's perch of your nearby scam-market, er, I mean stock market. What kind of company's products do you want, all products being equal? You want the "up the ladder fast as we can, get our growth up, fuck you Mr. Customer if you get in our way!" company, or the one that gives two shits about their customers and making a great product that people can do with whatever they please, even sticking them in a blender to chop up? The kind of company that allows freedom in their own hardware or products usage. I'm a long-time Apple user, but when I saw the "Apple Store" arrive, I knew the days of my mostly Mac home production systems were on the decline. And with a real computer costing anywhere from $5 to $45 for the main board, why do I want to lock myself down to a single company as my vendor for my home computing needs? I have the Intel boxen, and these tiny ARM boxen, I don't need some upity software house claiming permanent, non-revokable ownership of their crap software on a piece of hardware I own outright. Fuck a ELUA, reading them and abiding by them is for muggles. End of story.

Also, if you only use one type of OS, keep your fucking keyboard on standby, friends. I have used every kind of system, with every kind of OS and many on a daily basis. Have you used Motif on an SGI IRIX box lately? I have one in my kitchen. Do you have a MacOS 7 installer disk set lying around, or perhaps 4.5? Ever repurpose a pizza box Intel server into a desktop system running the very awful Windows 2000 as a gaming box? Ever boot a DEC PDP/11-34 from the front panel and a cold start? I've used OpenWindows, Motif, any Windows post W95, every MacOS ever (yes, I have 1.0, and 2.x and every flavor still runnable on old original hardware), real Unix (Solaris w/OpenWin and JDS, AIX, HP/UX, FreeBSD w/o desktop), so many different Linux distros that your head would spin, and I have this to say about it; THEY ALL SUCK IN SOME WAY, and it's up to you to make it work, or sit and bitch about it because you lack the skills to wade through the GUI. When you grow up you can do everything from the command line, and THEN, and only then can you chime in with your silly; "my OS can beat up your OS" comment. WAIT FOR IT! and go

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon