Reply to post: As an ex industrial Sparky, I have to agree.

Electrician cuts wrong wire and downs 25,000 square foot data centre

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

As an ex industrial Sparky, I have to agree.

You cant blame the sparkys without knowing the full story; more than once I have turned up to a job and found out that some prior idiot had wired it ass-backwards.

The first time was as a green apprentice, I was asked to isolate a gantry crane and pull the fuses (300A 600V 3 phase), which I did; however when the sparky in charge came to put them back he went white as a sheet; the isolator had been wired up back-to-front (isolator before fuses),, so I had unbolted the fuses "Live".

Another time, a someone replaced a transformer the wrong way round and the £1,000,000 PLC cabinet got fed 1,600V instead of 110V; the transformer wasnt labelled input/output, so no-one knew for a fortnight. (Siemens make good stuff, it survived without damage!!).

Then there is the GUS/KAY&Co factory where 24 picking cranes had been fitted with every single circuit breaker bypassed, and single phase isolators on 2 phase equipment, and no one had noticed for 17 years. (I wrote up a further eight pages of serious violations for the HSE for that one factory, not one was ever corrected).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon