Reply to post: Re: How to tell

Is ATM security threatened by Windows XP support cutoff? Well, yes, but …

Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: How to tell

I live in an area prone to hurricanes and other power-interrupting weather events. On two occasions, I happened to be been near an ATM when the power came back on. One of those was a "through the wall at a bank" device and the other a "freestanding in a convenience store/chemist's" type. The bank device gave no clue as to operating system but the freestanding one very briefly showed the familiar XP logo.

I don't know what the rules are on your side of the pond but, here in Yankville, freestanding ATMs often charge exhorbitant fees on top of any transaction fees imposed by your bank. My personal policy is to never trust these since A) you never know who's been able to poke around the device and B) I'm too cheap to pay the extra fee unless I'm in absolute dire straits for cash. Given that I've never seen a USB port or hatch leading to one on a "through the wall" bank ATM, I believe these less likely to be compromised or even ABLE to be compromised in any manner that could be described as easy. I could, of course, be very wrong...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon