Reply to post: Re: Welcome back the WORM drive

Researchers say they've cracked the secret of the Sony Pictures hack

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Welcome back the WORM drive

I worked somewhere many years ago where work done on a particular system/server required you to log in via the one terminal that was connected to it before you could make any changes. Viewing information (it was an information retrieval system) was possible from a number of terminals linked to a mirror of that server. The information on the retrieval system was updated by backup tapes and therefore a one way transfer. The system sent any keystroke activity and therefore who was logged in, to a dot matrix printer in another room (where the main server was located) which had continuous paper feeding into it. This was hardwired in like a keylogger device nowadays I suppose and couldn't be tampered with. An electronic log was also kept but obviously that was potentially vulnerable to someone being malicious. Access to that room was highly restricted and required security releasing a key from a small keysafe inside a larger keysafe. There was a combination padlock once you had all the keysafes open and only two people knew that combination.

I was once allowed inside the printer room to see the head of computing change the paper as a witness.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon