Reply to post: Re: Facebook @ DougS

The Edward Snowden guide to practical privacy

Kiwi

Re: Facebook @ DougS

LinkedIn is creepy.

Trolling through your contacts and sending requests on your behalf when you only gave them access to your contacts is one thing. Being able to send things to people you know when you don't give it permission is another.. That stopped after I a) changed my Gmail password (I run my own email server but use the gmail for a couple of things still) and b) started a policy of not using LI in the same browsing session as I use gmail (cookies always cleared when I close browser, AB+ + NS + no third party cookies etc to help).

I seldom check LI now anyway, just due to my part in a thread discussing their actions. Including that they send emails from people on their behalf without asking..

Oh.. And something to note. LI started suggesting I knew the owner of a 5 star hotel in some luxurious tropical resort. Quite insistent. It wasn't for some months that the guy I worked for then let me know what was going on.. this hotel owner was a close friend of one of our customers, the customer and the owner were arranging a surprise trip for the customer's wife, and the customer was using our computers to hide his email from the wife... The only thing in common was the IP address used, but LI used that to link us.

Which makes sense in some other cases.. There's been a few that creep me out even more.. Like some darling people I know I'd never tell mommy and daddy about... Or the first girl I ever kissed (well, she kissed me...) when we were like 5 or 6. Those people, some I have no online association with and some I haven't contacted for over 30 years - those contacts from LI creep me out no end. Or would do if I looked at it..

Oh, and when we set up our business my partner and I looked at Google, LI and Facebook's T&Cs. LI is very very nasty about what you put on their site (put your company logo on there? Guess who owns the rights to it now!), Google is not as bad but still bad (also perpetual rights to make money from your material).. But Facebook? Their T&Cs I could surprisingly live with!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon