Reply to post: Not quite accurate

Surprise! No wonder Oracle doesn't 'see' IBM or SAP in the cloud

jazzjaffa

Not quite accurate

Whilst much of the article above is correct there are some points that I need to raise.

I worked at Oracle for over 11 years left 10 months ago. I was in Sales and worked on some of the early PaaS sales. The first correction is there was no way a customer would sign a contract with out understanding all the products on that contract - we could not just slip a PaaS product into the mix and hope no one noticed. Customers were large enterprise accounts with numerous resources and a good knowledge of Oracle practises and contracts, they were not idiots.

Many customers understood this was a new product line and were willing and happy to get an opportunity to look at something that might in the future be a more meaningful option for their business.

Generally there was a good business case for the client to use PaaS when looking to buy a large chunk of on premise software. For example If we identified a deal of say £2m of on premise software for a customer we could then ask we would ask the customer if they would prefer to pay £1.5M for the software and £500K for PaaS - in doing so they would spend the same - effectively get a bigger discount on the on Premise Software but (and here is the key) there was no maintenance on the PaaS element so they save 22% on the initial purchase and every year thereafter. Plus there would be a "lump" of PaaS they could use for a whole range of things. So in summary I think the article was a little harsh and made it sound as though Oracle were selling PaaS with stealth - that was just not the case at all. All the customers I sold to, did so with complete understanding of what we were doing and the benefits to them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon