Reply to post:

Your taxes at work: Three hours driving to turn on politician's PC

Shades

"Identify the kid with the abillity and allow them to help you"

Sadly not everyone thinks like that,

One of my jobs, when I was younger, was working in a warehouse. Once they found out I was bit of a nerd and could touch type I promptly got stuck on the dispatch desk, typing out the delivery addresses into, what I presume was, a terminal for the delivery company which also printed out the dispatch labels on a proper old fashioned dot matrix hole fed printer.

The labels had a habit of coming unstuck from their backing and sticking to the roller inside the printer, which if caught early enough, could easily be peeled off, occasionally though they'd completely jam the printer, especially if printing off multiple labels for multiple boxes to be delivered to the same address.

One time it happened, instead of waiting three hours for a "tech" to come from our other unit 100 yards away - and watch the backlog of boxes pile up and up - I decided to grab a screw driver, unplug the printer, lift the lid, unscrew the two screws that held the roller in place, scrape the roller clean and put the printer back together. Total time: 5 minutes. Never before had I had such a bollocking! Apparently it was better to wait three hours for a lazy sodding "tech" to get his arse in gear and thus let deliveries that customers had paid for next day delivery be delivered the day after, than for me to fix, in 5 minutes, a "dangerous" piece of equipment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon