Reply to post: Re: Facebook

The Edward Snowden guide to practical privacy

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Facebook

Even if keeping on FB then please delete and create a new profile with a new disposable email every year or so. It limits what FB can easily gather on you and evidence of past indiscretions, and a perfect excuse to dump those "friends" who are sufficiently important not to appear to single out for un-friending, but that you really did not want watching your every post.

You base that advice on what I consider at best an unproven theory: that Facebook genuinely deletes your data when you close a profile. Until there is independent evidence of that I would not consider that to be the case, EXACTLY because your advice suggests you are so addicted to the platform that you have a need to come back to it.

I suspect that the "old" records will quite swiftly be again associated with you, but with a marker that prevents any of the "old" data be played back to you other than by means of remarkably accurate predictions of with whom you should connect.

After all, if LinkedIn retains anything even after you delete it, I cannot see why Facebook would do itself a disservice either.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon