Reply to post:

Pause Patch Tuesday downloads, buggy code can kill Outlook

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Anyone relying on Outlook for their email has already had a nasty surprise. Likely several of them.

Today's Outlook annoyance: Advanced Find. Select "Search subfolders" - which requires clicking the Browse button, because of course this frequently-useful option couldn't be on the main dialog, because Outlook was written by idiots. Enter search terms and hit Enter. Outlook returns hundreds of hits, nearly all from folders that are neither the selected folder nor any of its subfolders. Utter fucking incompetence. And grep'ing through a set of mbox-format files would have been orders of magnitude faster, as well as offering regex searching.

Outlook is one of the worst MUA I have ever had to suffer with. And I've used perhaps a couple dozen of the things. I've used the VMS mail client. I've used PROFS. I've used horrible web email interfaces. I've used Lotus fucking Notes. But Outlook manages to find new ways to be utterly, horribly, stupidly broken. It can't get basic functionality right, and even then it's absurdly slow.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon