Reply to post: What are you talking about?

Music lovers move to block Phil Collins' rebirth

A Ghost
WTF?

What are you talking about?

I heard they were constantly on the lash and knocking seven bells out of each other. Not to mention an internecine shag fest that would put Fleetwood Mac to shame. </bad joke>

You're right about being willy waving fools though. But such is the life of being in a band. Everybody wanting a piece of you. Everyone telling you what you want to hear. Yet, those closest to you in said band will be saying the exact opposite - "I wrote our biggest hit so far", "But I did the first ever 15 minute drum solo", "That's nothing, I shagged your missus last night". Klang.

Jung called it ego inflation. And it's very real. To be fair to mr PC and PG, I think they might have lost it at one point, but at least they found it again eventually. Unlike the Kirks and Amys who just lost it.

If you ever hang around with a famous band after they have had their first commercially successful album, or two, you will find that they are not all matey in the VIP of the Limelight. No, they avoid each other, each carrying his/her own entourage and hangers on. That is a generalisation but more the rule than the exception. And then they do the 'difficult' third album. Yeah, right, we all know why it's fucking difficult don't we? You're at each other's throats all the time and hate each other's guts so much we can't even get you in the studio together for 10 minutes.

I'm a failed musician and have no particular fly in this otherwise rancid ointment, but being in a major band has major personal pitfalls. The pressure cooker of touring/recording and the manipulation by others (management, A and R, publishing, journalists and fans etc.) takes its toll after a while.

I'd say that PC has succeeded where someone like John Martyn failed. Some people have it all (demons included) and become bloated alcoholics and nasty and end up having their leg chopped off, others just crack on with it and are mildly annoying. I know which one I'd rather pick.

As for PG, he is critically acclaimed for his voice, his songwriting ability, his use of instrumentation and production, his adoption of new media and utilisation there of. Oh and as a performer as well. Not to mention giving up and coming artists a bit of a break and promotion. He even runs a bloody successful recording studio and employs a few regulars who run it.

He must lie awake at night, unable to sleep, wondering where it all went 'right' until the early dawn comes.

Anyway Tony, I know that's you - you never did like any of the P's did you?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon