Reply to post: Putting things into perspective

UK's super-cyber-snoop shopping list: Internet data, bulk spying, covert equipment tapping

Bob Dole (tm)
Holmes

Putting things into perspective

Let's put this, and a number of other similar initiatives, into perspective.

Let's say you are having a conversation with a friend. Do you believe that the fact you are having that conversation, the name of the person you are talking to and the content of that conversation should be handed to a government official on the off chance that you might be saying something they are interested in?

Further, let's say you are in your own home reading a book. Do you think the name of the book, the time you spent reading it and even details such as what you were wearing at the time should be held within a government database for whatever purpose they deem necessary?

If you answer No to either of those questions then you should be contacting your representatives and telling them to cut this crap out. If you answer yes to either of them, please see your local constabulary for your sheep mask.

It doesn't matter if the communication is electronic or face to face. The same principles should apply. Who I speak to and what I say to them is not the governments business. What I choose to read or even comment on is not their business.

A major step in the ability to have complete control over someone is to know everything about them. Bear that in mind the next time you hear them claim this is about protecting you - it's not.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon