Reply to post:

Music lovers move to block Phil Collins' rebirth

Sane

Okay, the story made me chuckle, but...

Full disclosure: I still love Phil's often devilish Genesis drumming (and his frontman work with the band up until 1980-ish). Liked some of what he did with Brand X, too. I was never keen on his solo/pop-ier stuff but so what?

Point being, I do think he takes a lot of stick for no good reason. Some people seem to think he's the effing Antichrist.

The stars of jazz never had their age held against them when their genre ruled. Nor did they have popularity held against them. However, any musician who achieved success in the era of pop and rock must, it seems, run a gauntlet of derision and hate if they have the temerity to come out of the woodwork once they've passed some arbitrary age. I don't think that's fair and I don't think it's healthy.

Like his music or not, Collins was not manufactured; he was and remains a genuinely talented musician, whether or not anyone finds his music to their tastes. So let his next work stand or fall on its merits.

(Yeah, the eighties were awful in every way but at least I'll always have Seconds Out.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon