Reply to post: Re: Windows 7

Food, water, batteries, medical supplies, ammo … and Windows 7 PCs

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Windows 7

Windows 7 is the best, stable and most secure NT based client OS Microsoft has produced so far, even work (a major IT corporation) install this on all new staff machines. Any comparison with XP is ridiculous because it was a lot more primitive and insecure.

Windows 8/8.1 is a crap skinned Windows 7 with spyware in the boot and OS so is /not/ secure, Windows 10 looks less crap by even worse for spyware and I don't trust that all of the spyware can be disabled! They even back-ported some spyware to Windows 7, but I killed it off, even the sneaky CEIP DLLs, exe, and registry settings, and blocked some Microsoft spy servers in my router.

I'd be jumping to Mint if GPSoft provided Directory Opus for Unbuntu (annoying they still don't), it had better hardware support, and didn't have this crap design idea that you need to su and manually edit an obscure root file to upgrade stupidly insecure default CIFS settings to work with the more secure CIFS security used by Windows 7 and my NAS, and the rest, whereas windows has a simple UIs for this kind of stuff.

I'd prefer PCBSD for its default ZFS booting, but the hardware and software support looks even worse.

Running Windows 7 in a VM on Linux or FreeBSD is not stupid if you need a more stable base OS, but can't do everything in WINE and don't need as much hardware access; it's something I was considering, given I already run a Windows 7 instance in VirtualBox on a Windows 7 machine for an isolated server application, for security reasons.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon