Reply to post: Re: Linux, still not the way

Food, water, batteries, medical supplies, ammo … and Windows 7 PCs

bobgameon

Re: Linux, still not the way

That might be your experience but it isn't mine.

After reading people praise Linux again and again I finally decided to give it another try after a 3 year hiatus. Downloaded Linux Mint 17.2 KDE. Put it on a USB and installed it. And guess what? The out of box experience was absolutely shitty.

First of all the display resolution was wrong. My monitor is a 1440x900 but for some reason Linux didnt go above 1024x768. Finally read a few forums. Mucked about with xrandr and created a script to run at start up to fix the resolution. Thought it to be an in efficient method so generated a new xorg.conf then added the modeline for the new resolution and put it in the X11 folder.

With the display fixed i decided to watch a movie before installing other tools i need but behold. No sound in the headphones while the rear speakers worked. After mucking about with alsamixer and some other config files finally got that to work.

Then went onto install the tools i need. First up Oracle database. After searching across the internet and finding multiple 10 to 15 step tutorials on how to install it each step requiring multiple commands and scripts to be run i finally decided life is too short for this and installed windows 10 back.

If that's your definition of "works out of the box" i definitely don’t want to find out what you think doesn't work out of the box.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon