Reply to post: Re: 110 million PCs can’t be wrong?

Next year's Windows 10 auto-upgrade is MSFT's worst idea since Vista

a_yank_lurker

Re: 110 million PCs can’t be wrong?

Slurp probably does not know the true screw up rate and definitely will not publish it anyway. The error rate should include total number of attempted installs, successful installs, failed attempts, rollbacks (counting a failures), and complete removals for Linux. About the only number one can be confident of is the absolute number of successful installs where W10 installed and actually worked well enough to activate - this is probably the number MS is tooting. The other numbers are unknown and I suspect MS will not strenuously try to find them out. Some have reported several attempts and failures at installing, others have reported successful installation but after a few days either reverted to the previous version or installed Linux instead (mostly the former I suspect).

My navel, which is not known for accuracy, estimates the overall initial installation failure is about 10% with many not being counted anywhere. Also, my navel guesses there is about same rate of uninstalls. If it is correct, the total number of active W10 installs is about 100M not 110M as reported by MS with total install attempt of about 120 to 125M. Some of the failed attempts may have failed when the W10 installer detected some hardware issue and automatically aborted the install. I count them as failures but would Slurp count them.

For Slurp, the only meaningful number is the total number of active W10 installs not the total that have ever been installed. I suspect from above the actual number of active installs is about 10% below what is reported by the PR flacks/failures/liars.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon