Reply to post: Re: Only yourselves to blame

Next year's Windows 10 auto-upgrade is MSFT's worst idea since Vista

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: Only yourselves to blame

"(1) "how users disable or never install updates" Maybe because they break things, e.g. removing media centre?"

Well, what's it gonna be? Lose Media Center or get pwned and turned into a zombie bot? No middle option because standing still means being open to exploits.

(2) "no idea why users never install antivirus" Maybe because AV is mostly crap and an on-going fee or incessant nagging? (OK must at least give MS a vote for providing a low overhead free choice here).

Tried ClamAV? It's GPL.

(3) "Microsoft finally listened, then made you redundant by taking all those little jobs out of your hands" Good for that! So never again will I have to support some friend/relative who has, yet again, trashed their system and/or got it infected?

For people who's idea of a computer is "can't program the clock on the VTR," they'll turn to you no matter what. If you start ignoring them, they and the rest of relatives will have some nasty things in store come the holidays. And if you have a relative with some resources, you may find yourself cut from their will. And yes, I've seen this happen for lesser evils.

(4) "Linux is not ready...sacrificial chickens and chalk pentangles" Good to see you have recent experience of both Windows and Linux in terms of ease of installing and sorting out problems. Never had to registry edit I presume? Never has to get a driver from some web site and side-step the scams, bloatware (looking at you printer manufacturers, WTF does a driver need to be > 100MB for?) and shitty toolbars that come with the territory?

How about a device that simply doesn't work on Linux, period? Or one where there are two or three drivers, but none of them work. One's too old and doesn't work properly (too slow) and the other two are too new and flat out refuse to work. And worst off, it's the GPU chip this is supposed to be supporting, which for a laptop means it's a flat bust. Same thing happened no matter what the distro, so it's back to Windows (which at least works).

Meanwhile, on another machine, it spontaneously resets on a mainstream GPU, not even under heavy, and most of my Steam games are Windows-ONLY and WINE-Incompatible. So it's stuck on Windows, too. Believe me, I've tried and I've tried, and I've tried, but it just doesn't work for me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon