Reply to post: a looming disaster

How Microsoft will cram Windows 10 even harder down your PC's throat early next year

psychonaut

a looming disaster

I've rebuilt around a dozen machines from borked 10 upgrades in the last month or so.

I've also seen it:

1) remove security (trend wfbs)

2) fuck up file share permissions

This is going to be a fucking disaster for customers. what if the shitty old sage version or (insert legacy program of your choice here) or shitty old pc they have doesn’t work on 10?

i look after lots of businesses who dont have the need of a server but still have lots of machines.

The only way to prevent it will be to turn off auto updates, which is also bad news. Hopefully there will be some movement on this from MS before it happens, but if they don’t, then it will be tricky. I suppose you could disable auto installation of updates but allow to download, wait for the 10 upgrade to appear as a recommended update and hide it. But you’d have to do it on every single machine you look after. maybe this wont even work.

Plus, it will still download 3 to 4 gb of win 10 update per machine. Thatll be nice on one of my customers connections – a shitty 3g with 12 machines behind it.

If that doesn’t work then the only solution is to turn off updates for ever.

ideas to help mitigate this please

also - does anyone have experience of what this might do to an xp virtual machine running on the 7 pro built in xp mode? i have several customers who use this because they have to use ie6 to connect to a particular website. will the vm be "carried over" to the 10 install?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon