Reply to post: Speeds and feeds are not the central issue.

Europe fails to ban web 'fast lanes' – what now for Euro net neutrality?

noominy.noom

Speeds and feeds are not the central issue.

I see a lot of commentards here focus on speeds and data caps. Neither of those are directly related to net neutrality. Net neutrality is about censorship. When I pay for a connection to the Internet I do not want my ISP to decide what I can and can't access. They may not censor content directly if they just artificially slow it. But the effect would be the same. Right now, in the US, the primary focus is on video, as many ISPs are trying to sell video services. But if any censorship is allowed, it will expand. And it is not about money. Not directly. I am willing to pay a fair price that a company would need to supply a connection at a given speed. I just don't want them deciding what I get to access with that connection.

Many of the commentards that commented before me stated that competition will sort that out. I believe they are partly correct. I have two problems with that though. One, I don't want to have to buy multiple connections. If one ISP won't carry You Tube, another ISP won't allow VPNs, another won't carry Netflix... I think you get the idea. The other problem I have is time. I am middle aged. I am in the US. There likely won't be competition in my area in my life time. If that was an isolated phenomena I would agree that it was my choice to move to an area that had better choices. Sadly, it is not an isolated phenomena.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon