Reply to post: Re: New Spin on 30 year old Spreadsheet Technology

New Spin on 30 year old Spreadsheet Technology

chrisglasier

Re: New Spin on 30 year old Spreadsheet Technology

Authentic innovation is notorious for being initially considered incomprehensible. If any such innovation is lucky enough to gain traction, reactions progress from "it will never catch on" to "it was obvious anyway". I understand this and was expecting some acerbic dismissal of my post, but I certainly was not expecting to be accused of spam! I have no company and have nothing to sell. My description of a desktop web machine draws much from the content, style and purpose of 'As We May Think', in which acknowleged Internet Pioneer Dr Vannevar Bush describes his memex, a machine to help individuals automate information. The three links I included are to open source projects run by Roger Wang (NWJS), Douglas Crockford (JSON actually now built-in to modern browsers) and Ricardo Cabello (threejs - 3D library for HTML5 canvas).

However despite hostility ('HTH,HAND') I still want to see if I can make my explanation less incoherent and find the traction needed. Having laid out the basic idea in text a screenshot may help.

I am sure it is obvious to anyone here that the html, css and javascript needed to animate its sliding panels and generate its hypertext from JSON is pretty straightforward. However what may not be obvious is that what can be conveniently displayed and worked on because of the arrangement and animation would otherwise involve much human effort navigating and reworking data from widespread cells in many cumbersome spreadsheets. More than this using the NWJS (node webkit) windows mean individuals' desktop machines become part of the World Wide Web much like individuals' phones are part of telecommunication.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021