Reply to post:

Oh dear, Microsoft: UK.gov signs deal with LibreOffice

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

I have been using Microsoft Office since the days you installed it from floppy disks and no version of has been immune to crashing or just locking up which is hardly a recipe for a productive day at the office (open office has never crashed on me).

Well, that is IMHO down to a feature that MS has foisted upon the world and that is STILL with us today: including formatting date in a cut & paste operation. In several decades of computer use I have has exactly TWO occasions where that came in handy, in every other operation I always had to deal with the side effects of that idiocy and still have, because there is still not a single word processor out there that can set that as a default (including LO and OO).

Because Word itself can't actually cope with the mess that it makes itself (due to unattached partials in formatting) it is more and more likely to crash - the potential for crashing goes up the closer you get to your deadline. This is how I originally started with OO - it could still read the resulting mess when Word would have given up, and you could then either just save or use it to clear it all up.

Use LO - you know it makes sense :).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon