Reply to post: QoS is the point here -- I have $10 tablet data plan I run my phone off of

Accidental homicide: how VoLTE kills old style call accounting

jamesb2147

QoS is the point here -- I have $10 tablet data plan I run my phone off of

The researchers' points were valid, El Reg is an entertainment organization because society doesn't know how to separate out information services and entertainment, and QoS will be what we probably all end up paying for because you can't fake that and it's easy enough to track.

My SIP calls are fine about 60% of the time without any QoS on my Verizon LTE connection in suburban USA. The rest of the time I have to repeat things frequently or ask the other side to repeat themselves. I'm actually thinking about getting a couple of wired SIP phones for the house and office for when I need a reliable voice connection (not as often as you'd imagine, given the prevalence of email, and I work at a University where people absolutely HATE email). I'd be willing to pay slightly more for a more reliable data connection for phone calls (read: better QoS) on a per-minute basis, but I doubt the telco business model will quite work out that way. I'm suspecting something more like $20/mo for voice-quality QoS and they'll never give up trying to keep me -- er, hackers, from abusing it and the call accounting system.

Certainly the above ideas about paying for a higher QoS on a per-unit basis interest me, though! I'd love to see a wireless ISP (see what I did there?) try that.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon