Reply to post: Re: POSIX

Temperature of Hell drops a few degrees – Microsoft emits SSH-for-Windows source code

h4rm0ny

Re: POSIX

>>"Get a clue. Posix means Posix ACLs which give fine-grained access control not unlike Windows ACLs. You can argue that Windows ACLs are better if you wish, but displaying your ignorance of Posix is not a good start."

I wrote "default UNIX -rwx/rwx/rwx approach". You seem to have disregarded that in favour of what you would prefer I had said. Sure, you can add ACLs to GNU/Linux or UNIX and some people do. But they are not the default and they see minority usage. They are also a great deal harder to work with and less capable than Windows where they are the default approach. I don't think you could shoe-horn the more capable Windows ACLs into POSIX-compliance. Feel free to show me how you could, if you want to try though. ;)

As to the other poster, yes, I perhaps should not have written "fully" OO as there are some non-OO APIs in Windows. My background is UNIX so I'm prone to the occasional misspeak on Windows. But they key word in my post was "environment". You can manage the entirety of Windows via Powershell in an OO fashion and whilst if you're programming on Windows you might use a non-OO API, what I'm getting at is that working within the environment, pretty much everything exposes itself with an OO interface. And I do not see why or how people want Windows to suddenly be "POSIX compliant" as they sometimes post on El Reg. I don't think they actually know what they're asking for or what they think it would gain. A little like a builder of row-boats looking at a car and demanding it have hooks added for the oars to go in. Perhaps Nigel 11 here would like to explain what advantage there is to Windows in tying itself down to being "POSIX compliant". How and why would you even want to handle files or processes in the way POSIX lays out when there are better approaches?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon