Reply to post: Maybe Microsoft should change their name to Malwaresoft.

Microsoft now awfully pushy with Windows 10 on Win 7, 8 PCs – Reg readers hit back

Mad_Max

Maybe Microsoft should change their name to Malwaresoft.

I've had issues with updating windows last Tuesday, this is what happened to me...

I have windows 7 ultimate and automatic updates turned off, I know from years of experience to only allow security updates to be installed after I've done some research. On 10/13/15 I received 9 important updates, 2 recommended and 3 optional updates (windows 10 upgrade, silverlight and skype update) I decided to download the 9 important updates and one recommended, I don't need windows 10 upgrade or the recommended update (KB 2952664, compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7) at this time.

After I downloaded and installed the updates and restarted my computer my settings for windows updates was changed with out my permission from check for updates but let me choose to install them which was my setting for at least past three years to install updates automatically. When I changed my update the settings back to the way it was before windows changed it I noticed that update KB 2952664 (compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7) was ready to be installed when I would power down, there was no option to stop it. I had no choice but to download the unwanted KB 2952664 update and then remove it manually.

This morning (10/15/15) I checked my update settings and everything's OK but when I went to installed updates the unwanted KB 2952664 update was back.

So let's review. Microsoft hacked my system, change my update settings, force me to download an unwanted update (KB 2952664) and then after I manually remove it Microsoft reinstalled it without my knowledge.

WTF is going on!

After hours of research I've discovered that I could remove all of last Tuesday's security updates except one KB 2952664 that's because this update involves collecting data every day and sending it back to Microsoft. The only way to remove this update is to do a system restore.

When I made the system restore I did not know there was an alternate solution.

( Florida1920... As mentioned in another thread, I started here: http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/17/how-to-remove-windows-10-upgrade-updates-in-windows-7-and-8/ ) Thanks Florida1920.

I also discovered that they hacked my system with this update KB 3083710 they say it contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. I believe this changes your update settings from check for updates but let me choose when to download and install them to install updates automatically. When KB 3083710 is installed it automatically installs KB 2952664 when you shut down.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon