Reply to post: Let me quote something here..

Big biz bosses bellow at Euro politicians over safe harbor smackdown

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Let me quote something here..

Something I picked up earlier today contains a choice quote that is worth repeating in its entirety before I add one rather vital detail:

[..] Dutch MEP Sophia in ‘t Veld, of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe, called Safe Harbor “bad legislation.”

“Safe Harbor, everybody knew that it was faulty,” she said. “It was dead a long time ago. We’ve been pulling a dead horse for a long time. This body has been calling for a repeal of Safe Harbor repeatedly.”

Thus, she also said she has little sympathy for those calling for time to digest the ECJ ruling. “Safe Harbor has been under attack for many, many years,” she said. “I don’t think the argument that we need a lot of time to deal with the fallout of this is very valid.”

Amen to that, but there is also this other annoying niggle that US politicians are very keen to avoid talking about (in roughly the same manner as they avoided talking about the problems that Safe Harbor was helping to hide): the rights the EU is protecting for its citizens are in principle no different to the right US citizens should enjoy, unless they want to finally publicly admit that that phrase "freedom from unreasonable search and seizure" has gone the way of the dodo.

Now, let's go and tell that the electorate, shall we?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon