Reply to post: Re: "It has taken many years, but governments are starting to enforce social laws in cyberspace."

Linux kernel dev who asked Linus Torvalds to stop verbal abuse quits over verbal abuse

zen1

Re: "It has taken many years, but governments are starting to enforce social laws in cyberspace."

AC's,

When people who are absolutely passionate about a particular project or have a tremendous drive for perfection get together in confined spaces, sometimes there is friction. In very large endeavors like LINUX, friction can be almost constant. I'm not saying it's right or acceptable, but that's just the way it is. And after spending almost 30 years in an environment like this, I see where some people resort to humor or means of communications that aren't necessarily fit for use in the general public. My take on it is sometimes that's what you have to do to get your point across or your opinion brought into the forefront for team consideration.

As I alluded to above, no, it's probably not acceptable or even civil, but in retrospect, I've done some of my best work when motivated by pure rage and spite. My advice to her would be to check your ego at the door and get some thicker skin, unless you don't completely believe in the goals you're working towards.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon