Reply to post: Re: This says it all really

Windows 10: A sysadmin speaks his brains – and says MEH

apostleofregister

Re: This says it all really

I'd like to formally extend your welcome to the Free and Open Source Software community! :) GNU+Linux isn't just for ultra-nerds anymore, and I can honestly say that after the minor adjustment period as I found alternative programs to the proprietary ones I used in Windows I've never looked back. No forced updates, no waiting for updates before you can login and actually use your computer, almost no risk of a virus (15 years and counting and I still haven't ever had one turn up in a scan), absolutely no cost, I can give my friends copies without being an outlaw, I can customize my working environment with a fairly long list of different desktop managers and make most of them look almost however I want them to with no extra overhead (In Windows I had to install 3rd party theming programs and they eat up system resources like RAM and CPU cycles), no need to surf around the web to get all my programs separately as they're already in a repository so I can just pick them out of a list in a category and install as many programs as I like at once, when I do update my programs get updated along with my operating system unless I mark them not to be upgraded for some reason, and I don't even have to just get used to some corporate committee's idea of what my User Interface should look like and how it should work, it's all how I choose it to be because it's MY home, where I work and play and have my being. So welcome, and be free and take your ambrosia here friend! P.S. Don't use Ubuntu, it's the only one to do it but they have this creepy "send everything you search for to Amazon" thing going on by default. Linux Mint is really comfortable without any customizations at all and is basically Ubuntu minus the creepy feature, and although it does have some binary blobs in the kernel you need not worry about that until you're familiar enough with Linux to swap it for a fully free kernel (it isn't hard anyhow).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon