Reply to post: Re: Mistake or Hack? Defaults auto-reset by updates!!!

Weird garbled Windows 7 update baffles world – now Microsoft reveals the truth

BobChip
Flame

Re: Mistake or Hack? Defaults auto-reset by updates!!!

Joed,

"Just yesterday I installed 10 on brand new box. I cleaned it up/silenced it and then I realized that this system not only has little to offer to me but since I can't trust it I really have no use for it."

I have also tried a test Win 10 install, overwriting Win 7 Pro on a redundant (Dell Latitude) laptop. I also cleaned up and reset the defaults to give me as much privacy / security as possible. Result? A not very good Win 7 install, as far as I could see, and nothing to make me want to switch back from Linux to MS.

HOWEVER, while I was trying it out, a slew of MS "security updates" came through and installed themselves. To my astonishment, I found that the updates had reset all my privacy settings to the system defaults, overwriting my preferences - presumably this constitutes MS's idea of security, though it is certainly not mine. A quick trawl of the net suggests that I'm not the only one to have this happen, or that this behaviour is some peculiar property of the old laptop I was using. Who the hell could ever trust a manufacturer who can do that to you?

The HD has been reformatted and the laptop now runs Mint 17 as a spare PC for one of the kids at Uni. End of story.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon