Reply to post: Alienating support

Weird garbled Windows 7 update baffles world – now Microsoft reveals the truth

Terry 6 Silver badge

Alienating support

I am ( or was) a Microsoft supporter. back from the days of CP/M - or rather when I discovered MSDos

And I have never objected to changes if they were beneficial to me as a user, or to the staff who I managed, if we could get the work done better with it. I even could cope with Clippy most of the time.

But the last few years almost all MS's actions have been negative.

There was the ribbon. Which makes it impossible to hide menu elements you'll never use, or to group them according to your own work patterns without creating a whole new menu and hiding several original ones. (At least Clippy was there to help you do things - not prevent it).

Then Windows 8. Which hid key elements in invisible patches on the screen, so that you could only ever find them by accident when you least wanted them.

Then 8.1 which improved things a bit, due to public outcry but only with a grudging air.

And now Win 10. Which could have been good.

But there's the Start All Apps menu, that makes organising programmes as difficult as all hell.. Which allows programmes to install folders, but won't let users directly interact with them, so that we have to open them, and right click an element get inside them, then navigate up the tree to get to and move/remove the folder.

Which won't let you move their in-built apps at all, even if you have a perfectly good folder to put them into.

Which doesn't immediately register that links have moved, and sometimes won't admit it ever.

And there's the controls that are spread into all sorts of places, mostly not the control panel, so that, for example creating a restore point manually is pretty much hidden from mortal view.

Then there's the compulsory update, without the option to say no ( I would not mind if it just installed by default if users failed to respond).

And the Notifications panel that has only the most basic of options.

I'm sure others could add to the list.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon