Reply to post: You forgot the little extras

Things you should know about the hard work of home working

Flywheel

You forgot the little extras

.. the main one (for me at least) is that you invariably get a faster network than your office-based colleagues, but you get to pay for it yourself. You also find out how frickin' slow Openreach can be at installing lines and ADSL. I used a MiFi dongle for a couple of weeks while I was waiting for mine to be installed and it was usable, but slow.

Then we moved house again and was offered a 40Mbps fibre link, which we had installed. Great! The only problem now was that the BT wall box had its own power supply, so I had to get a small UPS for that in case the power went off. Add that to the *other* UPS I bought just to ensure that the router and switch I also needed stay up in the event of a power problem and you get the picture..

Remote (hardware) support? Nightmare! My original desktop PC packed up when the integrated soundcard died, and I had a 600-mile round trip to pick up the replacement laptop. No, they couldn't ship it - I had to pick it up myself.

But in spite of all this I just *love* working remotely. The view from my windows is great, and I can chat to my colleagues at any time using Lync.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon