Reply to post: I did it for 2 years

Things you should know about the hard work of home working

Valerion

I did it for 2 years

Quite enjoyed it. Converted the spare room into an office that had a door I could shut to keep the family out, so I wasn't disturbed. VPN connection to the office on a separate LAN to the main home network. Even had a proper company VOIP phone with an extension number and a DDI. Skype chats kept me in contact with everyone I worked with (who were spread over 3 other offices in the UK plus India).

Lost a load of weight because I could spend some time at lunch actually cooking stuff that was healty rather than raiding Asda. Did get a bit lonely, but I would visit the offices for a couple of days once or month or so (Staying overnight). The overlooked for promotion bit is a good point, because I was the obvious choice for one, but someone else got it - someone who worked in the office. And I agreed with the decision because managing a team is easier if you are actually with them.

These days I'm in a different job and sometimes work from home (I no longer have the proper office setup thoiugh). I'm at home today actually. So far I've eaten half a packet of chocolate hobnobs so my old healthy habits seem to have gone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon