Reply to post: Re: The margins in the smartphone market are very low, if you exclude Apple

DRIVERLESS cars: Apple ups the ante with meeting in California

Eddy Ito

Re: The margins in the smartphone market are very low, if you exclude Apple

You're forgetting that in 2007 when the iPhone made its debut it was priced lower than what was then the top tier. At $600 the top of the line, 8 GB, iPhone was at least $100 cheaper than the Nokia N95 and it wasn't long after that Apple dropped the price upsetting many early adopters and it wasn't barely a year when the recently introduced 16 GB iPhone was down to $400. Recall the BB Curve 8300 was about $450 and even Motorola's Razr flip phone was going for around $300.

Consider that what Apple does best is design, UI/UX and marketing and ask what doesn't Apple do. Apple doesn't manufacture anything, it's all contracted out. It would take a whole lot for Apple to start from scratch in the auto manufacturing industry and all that initial cash outlay would deplete their reserves for R&D. Heck Fiat only started back in the US because they could buy the infrastructure cheap by buying Chrysler.

You make in interesting point about the high end with Bugatti, Lamborghini and let's toss in Ferrari and ask if they could survive without their parent company. Considering none had managed to make it on their own the answer is no. The profit from the premium brands comes from the massive infrastructure that already exists due to building Golfs and 500s in sufficient volumes.

Tesla is the interesting one since they are trying to change the paradigm but they aren't yet profitable. I hope it works for Tesla but I don't see Apple jumping of that cliff when it's so easy for car makers to go bankrupt. No, Apple is going to do something that will allow them to partner with existing manufacturers albeit maybe on a more grand scale. I can see an ad which touts "brains by Apple and brawn by [BMW, MB, etc] all beautifully blended in the new Feudal Lord Series. Stop being a lowly vassal and buy one today."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon