Reply to post: Time to get rid of ALL Diesel and fuel oils.

CHEAT! Volkswagen chief 'deeply sorry' over diesel emission test dodge

Dan Paul

Time to get rid of ALL Diesel and fuel oils.

The fact is that Diesel or fuel oil is dirty and always has been. Yes it has higher BTU/Gallon than gasoline but the amount of NOx produced is much higher than gasoline or other fuels. The particulates are out of this world and the "yahoos" around here that put vertical exhaust stacks on their pick up trucks and play hell with their Engine Control Software to get more HP, tend to spew a black cloud out of them anytime they step on the pedal.

I haven't seen that kind of soot coming from a personal vehicle for 40 years and it ONLY comes from Diesels. Even buses and garbage trucks aren't as bad as these pick up trucks.

The NOx is intolerable and smells like high concentration nitric acid. It acts like it too. Try driving behind one of those every day on the way to work.

Convert all Diesels to natural gas or propane worldwide and we'll all be better for it. Don't even get me started on the converted fry oil Biodiesel. If I wanted to smell fried food I'd buy some. You might even finally have some sunshine peeking through in Beijing. Asthma rates would plummet everywhere.

Ooops, I forgot, developing countries don't care about their OWN emissions, only those of developed nations so they keep their cost advantage against them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon