Reply to post: Re: Attn: Normal people

The last post: Building your own mail server, part 1

Hans 1

Re: Attn: Normal people

smtpd := smtp daemon, actually, the process that you connect to with your email client (outlook, thunderbird, icedove, whatever) to send emails (via SMTP).

sasl := Simple Authentication and Security Layer

auth := authentication

enable := !disable

= := = or "equals"

yes := !no

Basically, it means that for the smtpd daemon, set the "simple authentication and strong security layer" to "enabled" for "authentication". Hope that helps ...

As for wrappermode ... I will quote the postfix TLS readme:

TLS is sometimes used in the non-standard "wrapper" mode where a server always uses TLS, instead of announcing STARTTLS support and waiting for remote SMTP clients to request TLS service. Some clients, namely Outlook [Express] prefer the "wrapper" mode. This is true for OE (Win32 < 5.0 and Win32 >=5.0 when run on a port<>25 and OE (5.01 Mac on all ports).

It is strictly discouraged to use this mode from main.cf. If you want to support this service, enable a special port in master.cf and specify "-o smtpd_tls_wrappermode=yes" (note: no space around the "=") as an smtpd(8) command line option. Port 465 (smtps) was once chosen for this feature.

Basically, email clients tend to issue a STARTTLS to the server to say "Heydo, I wanna talk encrypted, you support that, right?" Outlook uses a wrapper mode instead - postfix discourages you from using it in the readme, I could not find anything in the actual cf file or google explaining why. Apparently non-standard.

Also, you would have to watch with Outlook, sometimes it insists on sending cleartext passwords over the wire, because, well, it detected mail server is not exchange.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY TECH NEWSLETTER

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2020