Reply to post:

Microsoft has developed its own Linux. Repeat. Microsoft has developed its own Linux

TimeMaster T

"You don't use linux on the desktop unless you're a masochist ..."

I have to disagree. My main home system has been Linux with KDE/TDE for almost 15 years now. I also have a Windows box that I keep around for a couple of games/apps that don't have a Linux port and I haven't tried with WINE yet.

I've had more headaches with the Windows system in the last year than I've had with Linux desktop in the past 15. And I use my Linux system for a lot more than just games. All my multimedia/photo editing, CD/DVD authoring/burning, office apps, games (native and WINE), printing on a laser printer that is no longer supported for Windows but works fine with Linux, and of course surfing the Internet.

You want to talk about masochists? talk to people who lose all their files because of some virus, or the ones who can't open some old MSWorks document because MS Word doesn't support the format anymore. Offer them an option like Linux, or even a Mac, and they will always go back to Windows.

From 20+ years of working with computers I can tell you that every system, be it Linux, Windows, OSX, or BSD is a pain for the average user to install and configure as a fresh install. But once the OS is configured and the drivers installed they are all the same. They work, and people don't care what OS they use as long as it does what they want it to.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon