Reply to post:

'To read this page, please turn off your ad blocker...'

eclairz

Adverts pay for the content, people do not like the content enough to watch the ads, but are willing to the content for free. What it boils down to is that pirates want it all, they want to see the content without paying for it and expect more to content to be created by being subsidized by other users willing to watch the ads.

But as revenues fall, the amount of time and money each person is willing to put into an article decreases, thus creating the cycle of crappy content because the amount of capital used to research is reduced, making the content crappy. People complain why they should pay for content if it is this crappy, so they install ad blockers, which is how this cycle begins.

In my opinion we are spending way too much time on websites if we have to resort to ad blockers, and find time for hobbies (unless your only hobby is to continually watch TV, go on websites) which do not require watching ads. A few seconds of my life is okay because I have more interesting things to do with my life, if the websites have too many ads I just don't go to those websites anymore, as usually the more invasive ads, usually has the least capital and the most likely re-syndicated content.

The best way to punish websites which have invasive ads is to go elsewhere, they will either notice and change their ways or die off, but by using these ad blockers and continually going to their websites means they can show off to the ad companies that they are still popular enough to keep using these bad ads and thus penalising the users who are subsidizing the pirates.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon