Reply to post: Re: Interesting times

Jeremy Corbyn wins Labour leadership election

eesiginfo

Re: Interesting times

@ Zog_but_not_the_first

>Like him or loath him, the breadth of political debate will be broadened for the first time in decades. And no democrat can object to that, can they?<

I have to agree.

Corbyn seems to take a mature reflective position on many issues, that mainstream politicians avoid dealing with, or just go with the flow (banking their salary, and obviously whatever expenses they can).

Yes.... 'it's the economy... stupid'.

But we have just witnessed a labour government quite happy to see wild gambling in the city, on a Tulip scale..... and when it went tits up.... put forward the plan that would make every hard working person foot the bill for the gambling losses, while watching the head gamblers parachute out with their fortunes intact (even though they lost millions, or billions).

My concern is that, while speculation is necessary... it is primarily focussed on 'get rich quick' schemes, rather than foundation building.

The billions (trillions?) that were given back to the banks to cover their gambling losses, were clearly provided without strings.

Nice that Reaction Engines Ltd. got a bit of backing..... but with a technology that has (now proven) potential to transform this 'mission critical field of propulsion'...... was it enough?

Speculation on some dodgy mortgages, or speculation on a technology that can create the high tech jobs that the UK needs, to differentiate its existence from the sweatshops of the far east?

I once saw Boris Johnson proclaiming how a London company was selling TV aerial antennas to Korea....... well done them, but we are making frigging aerials, while Korea is making high tech devices!!! (well done them also).

Let's just hope that the democratic debate, looks at addressing short termism, and the need to correctly educate school leavers for the high tech engineering world that awaits them.

I worry that sooner or later, the world will wake up to the fact that, an economy based upon how many people pay stupid amounts for coffee latte (coffee and milk), is not really a vibrant productive economy.

Let's hope that the democratic debate, leads the politicians to discuss the only viable future.... that being one of a technologically capable society.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon