Reply to post: New machine for a new CPU? What a waste of $!

Intel's 6th gen processors rock – but won't revive PC markets

P.B. Lecavalier
WTF?

New machine for a new CPU? What a waste of $!

From the salesrep, on older machines: "They are slow to wake, their batteries don’t last long, and they can’t take advantage of all the new experiences available today,” Please...

My main machine: first or second i3 generation on an HP laptop bought in 2011. Time to boot Linux (Gentoo) on SSD? Within 12 seconds. Time to wake from sleep? 1 or 2 seconds, not long enough to notice.

I'm sorry, but why would I ever pay to improve upon that? Maybe this: Time to boot Windows 7 on the mechanical drive: more than 90 seconds (on the same drive, booting Linux is less than half this). And don't say "it's because it's an old install", I use it very rarely. Lusers do not see the difference between adequate hardware and failed software, and will ditch that serviceable hardware just because of the M$ junk.

And what about gamers? With the video card(s) doing most of the work there, just upgrade that component. Or is it that you use a laptop, and you are a gamer? Not a smart move.

You wanna sell me a product worth my time, money and interest, Intel? Come back with a modern instruction set architecture.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon