Reply to post: Re: UHD Blu-ray is already sunk

Sign of the telly times: HDR shines, UHD Blu-ray slides at IFA

imanidiot Silver badge

Re: UHD Blu-ray is already sunk

Sorry, but that's a load of rot.

Lots of AV kit out there cannot be used to its full extent when paired with the limited video or audio bit-rate of a broadband connection.

What of those of us that like to curate titles, feel / hold them / enjoy artwork and notes in the same way people have for years with vinyl, tapes, CDs?

Or people that like access to a much wider catalogue than is available from myriad, fragmented streaming services (with lots of titles held up in legal knots or just unwillingness of distributor to allow VOD)?

Or how about enjoying a collection divorced from the mercies of an ISP? 'Sorry, can't watch tonight, DLM has kicked in' doesn't wash for anyone with more than a passing interest in films.

Most industry projections are forecasting more Blu-ray player sales this year through next. Doesn't sound like 'no-one wanting them' to me.

Reductive statements like this remind me of people predicting the end anything Apple decide not to include in their kit. It might apply to one group of people, but not another.

1. You are in the minority. The market might continue for people like you but it'll be much smaller scale production than at this time.

2. Sure, players and Blu-ray disks will probably still sell a lot for the next 10 years. HOWEVER. I'm not talking about the disks or the players. I'm talking specifically about the machines used to produce those blurays. All producers who want them have bought them, no-one is building new fabs. And no-one is developing new production machinery as there is no market. This never happened when CDs became DVDs and DVDs became BDs, so something is up. This doesn't mean production will stop in the short term. We're talking production machinery designed to last 10 to 20 years of non-stop running, so it'll be going for a while. But no-one is gearing up for production of more discs or new media types. A sure sign even the industry is having it's doubts

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon