Reply to post: The way forward is simple...

Google robo-car suffers brain freeze after seeing hipster cyclist

smartypants

The way forward is simple...

Quite rare for me to recommend a Metro article, and don't be put off by the title. It contains both a video of an idiot-cyclist breaking a red light and ending up getting hit by a bus (and most of my fellow cyclists cannot stand such idiots), and a thought-provoking idea of why our crowded streets could be better if 30% of people got around by bike.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/03/the-law-should-protect-cyclists-and-penalise-motorists-5227953/

It's about time we enforced the rules for all road users properly. The way to protect the idiot cyclist in the video is to police the roads properly and catch these idiots. Why are they allowed to get away with it? The way to protect the vast *majority* of cyclists is to make it socially unacceptable for drivers to hold the sort of poisonous, aggressive attitude of our friend 'Vladimir' as he drives around our towns. The vast majority of motorists show me a lot of courtesy when I'm cycling, but every once-in-a-while a 'Vladimir' almost wipes you out on a stupid overtake. As a car driver I know that this is pointless, because it is other vehicles which slow down car journeys through towns.

Roads are for people. No matter how we get around, we should all stick to the rules and respect each other's rights to safety.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon