Reply to post: "A Close Call Gromit!"

Windows 10 now on 75 million devices, says Microsoft

Cardinal
Devil

"A Close Call Gromit!"

I was one of those who didn't manage to complete the update.

I had initially just tapped on the Win10 update logo to see what it was about, as I was expecting a bit of explanatory dialogue before the deed was done - but no - MS practically bit my hand off and I was put instantly on the list, without further ado!

After later reading about the privacy issues I decided I didn't want it after all, and so tried to cancel it using the recommended 'right-click on the Win10 logo' method, but that didn't work for me either (I think I'd uninstalled one of the required updates or something) so I made sure to make an image of my current setup and just take a look at Win10 when it arrived.

I was a bit concerned that MS would install the thing sometime during daytime hours and would thus consume a large portion of my 10GB monthly bandwidth allowance (all I need really), so I tried to install it after midnight using the Media Creation Tool.

This was however unsuccessfull, as the VGA driver was apparently not up to scratch. - I later found that there was a VGA update that should fix the problem but was so thankful that Win10 hadn't installed, and consequently I now appear (I think) to be inoculated against further MS attempts to install it, that I've not bothered to update the driver since.

The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. - Thank God.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon