Reply to post: Re: some protective googles

Net neutrality: How to spot an arts graduate in a tech debate

theblackhand

Re: some protective googles

It is possible to have more bandwidth the the consumers can use, but it generally begins to fall down when:

- you start adding more boxes and eventually reach a point where there will be bottlenecks once vendor slot or port limits are hit

- you start adding latency

- you start adding costs

- you start adding third parties (and their design choices) to reach the destinations you desire

We have had (and still have) networks that deliver the bandwidth they promise, they just happen to be significantly more expensive and most people don't want to pay for the extra "quality". i.e BT Infinity 1 costs £27.99/month versus a 10Mbps Internet link in London costing around £500/month (rising to around £850/month for 40Mbps). This may not guarantee you the bandwidth to the destination you want, but working with your ISP (or changing ISP) may allow you to remedy that for more money....

I realise this isn't a perfect example (i.e. different providers charge differing amounts for differing levels of service - i.e. Cogent/Sprint vs AT&T/Verizon in the US) but it's a significant step up from treating the Internet as a single Ethernet switch.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon