Reply to post: Re: What did they think they were doing?

Windows 10 market share growth slows to just ten per cent

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: What did they think they were doing?

@Chairo - my problem device is Broadcom, not surprisingly. The thing is, I previously ran Mint 14 on the same machine and it either worked or I easily installed the needed drivers. This time, with mint 17.2 I went around in circles and decided to give up that part and plugged in a Belkin N300 micro thingy, that works just fine.

I know there are valid reasons for driver problems (lack of open-source drivers for one), but I had got used to stability in this respect.

That being said, I do find that Linux distros are generally far better at providing drivers (and just working when you plug a new device in) than windows. It's just funny that in this particular case Microsoft and Windows 10 proved superior.

Anyway, the machine I'm actually going to migrate to is the one I'm using now, which is more recent and which Mint 17.2 quite likes.

@Rotwang Gyroscope III - I can get very confused trying to keep track of which chipset in which machine works with which distro. I like the Belkin N300 as a last resort. It also works nicely with a Pi

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon