Reply to post: Re: Is there a standard to aspire to?

Sane people, I BEG you: Stop the software defined moronocalypse

graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: Is there a standard to aspire to?

Given there are standards, then the question must be how to get them used/specified in production.

My lab work is under iso/iec 17025. my client uses my analysis for their work. They pay a bit extra than someone else doing similar analysis because its accredited.

They make a decision based on my work with confidence (99.5%) because that's what the accreditation means. if there's a problem then I can show from my records that I and my colleagues and my accredited suppliers did everything right. And if records show we didn't then someone a) has to make correction/recompense and b) improve the system (if possible) to stop it happening again.

Now routine analysis is a long established business, relatively simple, with clear objectives, and there's a demand for accuracy and consistency, so analysis to 17025 is easily specified by a client, may be a legal requirement, there's competition among suppliers and so doesn't carry much premium.

By comparison, with programming/software development I'm guessing there aren't the same drivers to make an accredited output. And as there isn't a physical property as such it would be harder for companies to develop and market accredited sections of code for others to use without having lots of black box components. ( compare with me buying 25g of certified standard - once its gone I have to buy another)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon