Reply to post:

X-wings, pirates and a generic Lara: Gamescom 2015

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

"No matter what Phil Spencer might have stated at the end of Microsoft's Gamescom conference, there's no escaping the fact that next year's roster of exclusives is weaker than this year's. Quantum Break looks disappointingly like any other cover-based shooter, the dragon-heavy Scalebound looks interesting but unfocused (and more than a little bit choppy at present) and Crackdown 3 is, well, Crackdown 3."

This really does sound a bit like something written by a reddit poster trying to downplay the conference. Quantum break does look a bit like a cover based shooter but I guess you missed the whole time powers. The whole "time stops but you still fight" bit was actually interesting, so after you break the tech on the guys that are fighting you they freeze back in place. It looks quite cool and adds a bit to take it away from a normal cover shooter scenario, its an interesting setting.

I was thinking "oh god not again" when I saw the guy behind cover I admit, but they very quickly showed the powers and it looked quite cool and interesting, with a good setting with available experimentation.

ScaleBound choppy at present earns a sigh from me. We finally get game devs showing actual early in game footage rather than bollocks CGI trailers and people instantly go "no buy, framerates bad" for a game not out for a year and a half :P Please define "unfocused" as well, whats unfocused about it?

Crackdown 3 is crackdown 3 correct, but i can't remember being able to level ENTIRE BUILDINGS in previous crackdown games (Vid here shows it in action- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFWIpAPvF-Q). The mesh of gang members for the offline mode looks like they are going back to a crackdown 1 structure rather than the godawful crackdown 2 setup as well, which is good.

I know whats good and whats not is subjective ( I think next year for gaming in general is going to be infinitely better than this year, which has been one of the worst years for all 3 consoles in a long time) , but the article seems to be snubbing it just because, can't help but think its like a reddit post from someone annoyed that the company they like wasn't there talking about games so instead goes "everything else is bad" :p

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon