Reply to post: Re: That's Open Source For You... @oisseu

Fork off! FFmpeg project leader quits, says he's had enough with these forking AV libraries

ingie

Re: That's Open Source For You... @oisseu

I'll take your 2 cents and raise you 2 pennies in return :)

re: Dual head monitors and WiFi...

Oddly, with Dual head monitors, my experience with Linux has been the opposite: I have had far fewer problems doing that sort of thing on Linux than on Win' - I certainly had multi monitor setups [3 of] on Mandrake [when it was still Mandrake], before it was easy on Win'

WiFi, I have to agree... but then it's far less of a problem than it was.

... Though, to hoist the argument by its own petard, I personally think the bigger issue with both WiFi and monitor drivers under Linux has been the nature of Closed Source drivers made available for Win, but not out-of-the-distro for *nix... so, from your argument [and I agree with it, especially from your own experiences] we might conclude that the reason for Linux not being ready for the mainstream, is less due to the Open Source dev community and forking etc, and more due the nature of a FLOSS Licence and how that restricts closed source driver distribution as being part of the general release. That's more of an attitude/idealism issue really.

I wish there was a RMS icon :)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon