Reply to post: Re: That's Open Source For You...

Fork off! FFmpeg project leader quits, says he's had enough with these forking AV libraries

oiseau

Re: That's Open Source For You...

> Whether that means Linux is/n't ready for the [average user] desktop or not, doesn't really bother

> me, and I'm not really sure why it is ever a talking point other than for punditry sake.

I have been at this since I was in my early 30's and have just turned 60, so I don't think I am an 'average user', but then that's just my own idea of myself.

And it does bother me a bit. I have been trying for the longest time to do with Linux what I have been doing with W2000/XP since early 2000 (15 years ago ... ) but never been able to.

Get my two (CRT/LCD) monitors to work as a shared desktop or be able to set up a new box, drop in a wireless card/dongle and and have it just 'work' without having to spend hours looking around the web to get a fix, only to find that the bug was reported, looked at, assigned and abandoned two years before.

So with wireless it's been rather a tug of war up to some time ago and with the 2 monitors it's been a severe waste of my time. So I install XP and these two basic (to me) items just work.

I can change every single W32 app I use for a Linux equivalent but these two basic issues are dealbreakers. Eventually I won't bother anymore, I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

> ... one of the negatives of open source and free licensing is that people fork projects for the sake > of having their own project (i.e. with exactly the same aim!) - this is counter-productive and there

> is no logical reason for it.

Maybe it's that they're all 'prima donnas' ...

Again, just my $0.02

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon